Saturday, March 16, 2013

Birth Energy


Every other year, the orchestra that I play in performs for the finals of an international piano competition. Artists from all over the globe compete in this amazing and inspiring event. I have been truly moved by many a pianist from it.

I believe it was last season that we provided the accompaniment to three talented pianists; two of them performing Rachmoninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini. All three were unbelievably talented. They would have to be in order to make it to that stage of the competition after competing with some of the most talented young pianists from all over the world. But there was one who stood out in a major way.

Every time we would rehearse, I mean every single time, he would bring an amazing energy with him. Many musicians "save it" for the concert, but not this guy. He "brought it" every single time. That "it" was simply astounding. There was an energy that emanated from him as he played. It was like an invisible wind that circled through the orchestra. It had bands of energy, like an invisible hurricane had landed on top of the orchestra and enveloped us all. To me, his energy was quite tangible. I have never felt anything like it in my life, and I have performed in many concerts over the past nearly 20 years. I leaned over and asked my neighbor, "Do you feel that?" And he said, "Yes!" I expected him to ask me what I was talking about, but the amazing energy that was whipping around the orchestra wasn't just my imagination! It was apparent to my neighbor as well. It was really an amazing experience. 

That guy won the competition by the way. How could he not? I think I understand now where the phrase "blown away" came from. Because we were all quite literally blown away. 

I have only felt a tangible energy one other time since then, and that was at Kimberly's birth two months ago. Once I settled into my birth groove with the warm water running all over me, I felt this same windy energy circling around me. At the time, I was too overwhelmed to really draw anyone's attention to it, but it was neat for me to have the presence of mind just enough to appreciate this energy. Since then, when anyone would ask me how the birth went, all I could reply was, "It was..... " and then start making this spinning motion with my hand like I was stirring a big pot of gumbo with it. The birthy people in my life would smile and say, "Ah. Gotcha." 

I just couldn't find the words to describe this circling windy energy until I watched my Orgasmic Birth: The Best-Kept Secret DVD, which is part of the Birth Boot Camp instructor required reading list. In case that title piqued your interest, it is "a documentary that examines the intimate nature of birth and the powerful role it plays in women's lives when they are permitted to experience it fully." In this DVD, "11 couples share their intimate personal journeys, facing their fears and moving through pain into the ecstasy of birth." (Quoted from DVD jacket)

I took notes as I watched and finally heard the perfect words to describe what I felt! The woman's name was Alexandra and she said it felt like, "a huge circle around, that was just spinning in the universe." 

Yes! This is the perfect description. I couldn't have said it better myself. 

I'd love to hear your experiences! Have you ever experienced a time where you felt a powerful energy circling around you? Please share your experiences in the comments section below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment